Monday

The Need For Affection

I was 17 when I left home for college. I made arrangements to stay with my friend's family near to my school. Within a few days I was moved in and comfortable; that was, until I stumbled into the kitchen one afternoon and discovered my friend's parents lovingly embraced, with their arms around each other, talking. When I turned to exit the kitchen my friend's mother said, "Karen, come on in, we're just talking." Embarrassed, I excused myself anyway.

I had come from a home where physical affection was seldom expressed, especially between my parents. But it wasn't long before I realized that my friend's parents had something I wanted; an openly affectionate relationship. Their closeness wasn't foreplay, it was just an expression of their love for one another.

All to often, after we become comfortable with our special someone, we relax to the point of forgetting to court each other on a daily basis. We forget how important our affection is to our partner and we forget how important it is to maintaining a loving relationship. How often have you heard someone complain that the only time their partner is affectionate is when they want sex. It is a favorite theme in sit-coms. But if you want your relationship to flourish, don't let it become a regular theme in yours.If it has been a while since you have openly displayed your affection, take a moment to let your special someone know that you realize that this is an area in your life that needs to change and that you are willing to start the ball rolling. That way when you walk up from behind for a quick hug, s/he won't be too surprised.

Most of us have heard the phrase, "a good marriage takes a lot of work." This is something you can start today that doesn't have to feel like work. But it can make a positive impact on your life together. Don't just think about change, create change!

No comments: